|Born||1984 (as he's 15 at the beginning of the show)|
|Residence|| Manchester |
|Title(s)||King of Babylon 1999|
|Romances|| Stuart Alan Jones (romantic crush) |
Dazz Collinson (ex-boyfriend)
|Parents|| Janice Maloney (mother) |
Hazel Tyler (motherly figure)
|Other(s)||Donna Clark (best friend)|
|Profession||Students; bartender; hooker (briefly)|
|First Appearance||Episode 1|
|Portrayed By||Charlie Hunnam|
|“||I can do what I like! I’M MOZART! I’M FUCKING MOZART!||”|
He's portrayed by the model and actor Charlie Hunnam.
Nathan grew up in a residential area of Manchester with his parents and younger sister. When he realizes to be an homosexual the family falls apart. During pre-adolescence he befriended Donna, a school friend.
Initially naïve and insecure, according to Hazel Nathan is a hopeless drama queen . The influence of Stuart and from the Canal Street clubs make Nathan more confident of himself, perhaps too much, transforming him into a narcissistic and selfish young man, always looking for sexual pleasures to satisfy.
A really good looking guy with blond bobbed hair, later combed in a more messy way, blue eyes and athletic body. Disused school uniform, he wears extra- tight t-shirt and blue jeans, as well as leather jackets and other fashionable clothes. He has a nipple piercing
In Queer As Folk
- Nathan: Donna, you don’t know her! You don’t know anything! Cos you’re straight! Right? You’re part of the system! Right? You’re part of the fascist heterosexual orthodoxy!
- Donna: I’m black. And I’m a girl. Try that for a week.
- --in Episode 5
- Queer As Folk aired in 1999, when Charlie was 18 years old. It was his first major role, and certainly a ground-breaking event, both for television and for the career of a burgeoning actor. The show’s premise involved a very good-looking, naïve young man (Nathan Maloney) who is drawn into the gay scene around Manchester’s Canal Street, one of the U.K.’s famous openly gay communities.
- In the American remake Queer as Folk (USA) Nathan has been replaced by a character named Justin Taylor, with whom he shares some characteristics:
- the family situation is almost identical.
- both are very good at drawing.
- both fall in love seducer duty: Sturart in the UK version, Brian in the USA.
- However, psychologically, Nathan is much more petty and sneaky than Justin. Unlike Justin, then, Nathan is not madly in love with Stuart / Brian.
- Freddie Baxter seems to be vaguely based on Nathan.
- Nathan is allergic to many foods, including peanuts, and some medicines that might get him into anaphylactic shock.